Silkroad Development Agency (İKA) is one of the development agencies established by the decision of the Council of Ministers no 2009/15236 on 25.07.2009. It operates in TC1 Level-2 Region (Gaziantep, Adıyaman and Kilis) according to the Turkish Statistical
Regional Units class. The duties of the Development Agencies are regulated in presidential decree no. 4 on 15.7.2018 as follows:
- To provide technical support for the planning work of local governments.
- To support activities and projects that ensure the implementation of regional plans and programs; to monitor, evaluate the implementation process of supported activities and projects and to report the results to the Ministry of Industry and Technology.
- To contribute to the development of the rural and local development capacity of the region in accordance with regional plans and programs and to provide support to the projects within this scope.
- To monitor other projects carried out by public sector, private sector and non-governmental organizations in the region, which are considered important for regional plans and programmes.
- To enhance co-operation between the public sector, private sector and NGOs in order to achieve regional development goals.
- To use internal and outsourced funds allocated to the Agency for regional development in accordance with regional plans and programs.
- To conduct research aimed at identifying the resources and possibilities of the region, accelerating economic and social development and increasing competitiveness, and to support research conducted by other people, institutions and organizations. To promote or make promoted the business and investment opportunities of the region at national and international level in cooperation with the relevant organizations.
- To monitor and coordinate the permit and licensing procedures and other administrative work and transactions of investors, public institutions and organizations within the period specified in the relevant legislation in the provinces of the region.
- To support new entrepreneurs with small and medium-sized enterprises by collaborating with relevant organizations on issues such as management, production, promotion, marketing, technology, financing, organization and workforce training.
- To promote activities related to bilateral or multilateral international programs participating in Turkey in the region and to contribute to the development of projects within the scope of these programs.
- To create a website where the activities, financial structure and other issues related to the agency will be published up-to-date.